Our Volvo 122s was delivered on 27th July in 1964 in Goteborg, Sweden. After spending time in Bonn and London the vehicle spent most of its life in Washington DC the United States, where it was serviced by the Don Beyer Volvo Cars in Falls Church Virginia. Nostalgia’s CEO Mr. Mazin Al Khatib bought the car in South Carolina and shipped the vehicle to Dubai, UAE in 2016. It was restored by our restoration team in our workshop and it has 21,879 miles on the clock.
In 1956 September, a prototype of a new passenger car from Volvo was presented. The car became known as the Amazon in Sweden and the 121 and 122S on the export market.
The car's classic lines were penned by Jan Wilsgaard, who later went on to design the Volvo 140, 240, 700 Series, and part of the 800 Series. The four-door was named after the female warriors of Greek mythology. The only problem was that a German moped and motorcycle company used the name "Amazone" for one of its vehicles around the same time Volvo's car was launching. An agreement between the two companies allowed Volvo to use the Amazon name in the Nordic markets, however the rest of the world would come to know the four-door as the 121, and the two-door variant as the 122. The styling was modern and this model was the first car from Volvo with a pontoon body. The front was characterized by the two oval air intakes. The rear wings were extended and ended with a hint of a fin, a very popular design feature at the time. People found the car very attractive. The Amazon 121/122 S also had a very high safety level with features including a padded upper half of the dashboard, a laminated windscreen and Volvo’s patented three-point seat belt became a standard equipment on the Amazon in 1959. The Amazon was the first car to offer three-point belts as standard, and prior to that was the first car to offer standard seat belts of any kind. In addition, the Amazon was the first Volvo to be built outside of Sweden at the company's plant in Halifax, Canada
In the autumn of 1961 the 1.6-litre engine was replaced by the B18 4-cylinder, in-line, overhead valves engine, with an output of 90 bhp at 5000 rpm.